(8) Invest In a Good Pot Holder

Whether I'm baking, ironing, or grilling; if there's high heat, I'll find a way to burn some part of my body. And for somebody who finds food creation therapeutic, that's a lot.  I've burned my hands more times than I can count. I keep aloe vera with lidocaine in the fridge just for that.  My forearms are covered in slowly fading burn scars. Even the back of my leg has been fried a time or two (don't ask, because I have no idea). Personally, I think it's just a symptom of my swirling, frenetic prowess in the kitchen.  Who has time to remember a potholder when you're in the middle of creating an actual culinary masterpiece...like mac-n-cheese.

 My mom, on the other hand would blame it on my in-explicable non-use of potholders and my lack of attention to potentially dangerous situations.  She might be right.

For years my mother has been trying to teach me to use potholders. In truth, at one point in time I did own several very nice ones.  Sage green to match my wedding registry kitchen towels.  Lovely.

Now those potholders are gone.  Pretty sure they got used by my smoker/grill loving husband.   Because he not only knows how to use potholders, but also how to burn holes the size of Kansas in them.  Hole-y potholders sort of defeat the purpose, so those bad boys disappeared years ago!

So what does one do without potholders?  Besides the obvious, "buy new potholders".  One grabs whatever is handy-sweatshirt, t-shirt, towels.  Unfortunately most of the time those towels tend to be wet. Know what conducts heat better than foil? Wet towels.

 Yeah, maybe I'll look into a few potholders.  Or not.  I'll just make sure to have dry towels nearby.

Thanks Mom-someday, I promise I'll actually put this lesson to good use!  (And by the way-I've noticed an apparent lack of potholders in your house as of late...)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to get your whites really white....and other important stuff

Think before you speak

7)Not all good food is pretty.